Sunday 8 April 2012

Designer Interview: Cory of Coryographies

Introducing Cory from Coryographies...

 

Who are you and where can we find out more about you?

My name is Cory, a Canadian living in the UK with my wonderful English husband.  I have an Etsy shop, Coryographies, which has been running for almost a year: http://www.etsy.com/shop/coryographies.  My accompanying blog is www.coryographies.blogspot.com.  I write about what it's like to be newly self employed, and also share interesting online craft shops, craft tips, tutorials, and giveaways!

I also have a facebook page, www.facebook.com/coryographies, and am on Twitter @Coryographies

What do you make?

I make fun and quirky jewellery out of wood and polymer clay, namely bookshelf necklaces and sushi jewellery. 


Where does your inspiration come from?

My designs all come from things that make me happy - teapots, books, food, and stone tools (I have a degree in archaeology!)

What tips do you have for generating ideas for designs?

Create things that make you happy - it doesn't have to necessarily be what you would use or wear yourself, but it should be something that makes you smile.  If you try out tonnes of different ideas, you'll find your own uniqueness.

How do you record your ideas?

I haven't up until now, eep!  I'm actually quite disorganized, but I like the 'organic' way I work.  It's very freeing.  But I've bought a little notebook to keep beside my work desk.  I forget too many good ideas!
What tips do you have for motivating yourself?

The biggest motivation I get is from messages people send me after they receive my items.  Making something that someone else appreciates is such a great feeling, and makes me really thankful to be in this position.  I don't know if I could ever return to the office!

Do you have any time management tips?

When I have something on my to do list, I can't think about anything else until it's done.  That tends to keep me on top of things and not get bogged down.  It has it's good and bad points, but it does tend to make me efficient and fill out orders relatively quickly.


What’s your workspace like?  Can we have a sneak peek?

I live in a small flat in the center of an English town.  Therefore there isn't much space!  I have a workstation set up on a shelving unit in the corner of my bedroom, and the shelves are full of shoeboxes with my materials and tools.  It's not very impressive - a tad chaotic, but it works!  What is the saying... bless this mess?



Where can we find your designs for sale?

At the moment my items are only for sale on Etsy, but I will hopefully be launching my bookshelf necklaces at a shop in London in the coming months!
Do you have any top tips for other designer makers?

I'd say to remember to be proud of yourself!  Being self employed and creative in your day to day work is a pretty lucky thing - not everyone has the chance or the opportunity to take that leap and give up the office cubicle!  That pride in your work should show though in its quality, and give you the determination to keep on keeping on.



Thanks so much Cory for sharing this with us.  I adore your bookshelf necklaces!


Pop over to Handmade Monday for more craft related blogs!

10 comments:

lovetartan said...

Really nice interview with Cory - the stuff she makes is really amazing and sooo tiny! Mich :)

Jam Dalory said...

Great interview, such tiny detail and unusual pieces, lovely. Happy Easter. x

Carolee Crafts said...

A wonderful interview, we are getting to know so much about our fellow crafters, thank you Wendy.

PS I love those little bookcases

Christmas Pie Crafts said...

As a very lucky winner of some of Cory's work, I know how lovely her necklaces and earrings are. Great to read more about you Cory.

Anonymous said...

Just wow! Can't imagine how much time and effort goes into just one of those dinky bookcases. Very refreshing ideas love it :)

Sarah - The Lilac Dragonfly said...

Goodness Cory you must have great eyesight to work on such tiny objects. They're really unique and quirky....love 'em!!
x

Mrs Pink said...

They are adorable, how I wish I had the patience!

Unknown said...

A really great interview - and nice pics of you at work!

Little Harriet said...

What fantastic jewellery. A great interview too.

LH
x

Cory Cuthbertson said...

Thanks for reading about me and my work everyone! And thanks to Wendy for interviewing me as well. It was great fun!