Saturday 25 August 2012

Thank you, Craftseller team...and you (yes - you)

I took a day off and we had a day out yesterday ...

narrowboat interior

at Ellesmere Port Boat Museum (we had a great day!) and waiting for me when I got back was the latest copy of Craftseller, due in the shops on Tuesday.  I was very excited and a little nervous!

Why? I was waiting to see this copy, because it has my blogging article in...

yay! very excited!

and although I take photos regularly to illustrate my blogs and for my my website, I am definitely no professional photographer - I worried myself silly over the quality of the photos I had to supply for this article.  I think blogging is probably a difficult subject to illustrate anyway, but I think my photos worked ok and I like how they used them.


If you buy or subsribe to Craftseller, you may notice I quoted Ros, of Ros Made Me fame, and Sue Bulmer, who both had something quite enlightening to say about blogging - basically, it's not all about you, it's often about your audience and that's what builds success.  The people who realise that (or maybe they don't always realise it, they're just nice thoughful people!) are the ones whose blogs really work well.


So, a big thanks to everyone who reads this blog (and my other one too)!  Ultimately, it's the readers that make anybody's blog into a community rather than the monologue it starts out from - and it's the readers who spur you on to write more.


Oh and a big thank you to the Craftseller team too.  Crafter and expert blogger?  Me?  Really? Well, it's in print so it must be true... *laughs rather nervously*



Brilliant blog?  Why, thank you so much... *blushes* ... yes, you flatter me far too much, Craftseller team, but it's rather nice to be flattered sometimes.  Thank you.

13 comments:

Lyn said...

How wonderful! The pages look fab!

But I know it's not just luck - you've worked really hard to get here and you deserve it.

Now....how many of your blog readers live near a branch of W H Smith and how many would volunteer to 're-arrange the magazines'......

Wendy said...

oh my word Lyn, there seem to be a lot of people volunteering to rearrange those craft mag displays! I live in fear of multiple WHSmith arrests up and down the country! Thanks Lyn x

Anne-Marie said...

Oh, Good for you...well-deserved, too! Will be at ol' W.H.Smith, crack of dawn, Tuesday.....'twud be so much easier to subscribe...must remember to do that..hahaa!

Wendy said...

Thanks! yes, you get it sooner if you subscribe, too x

Free Spirit Designs said...

fab article Wendy! and your photos look fantastic :) i love your 'Blog' 2012 diary!

i agree with what you've picked out here about blogging being about sharing in all respects - sharing of oneself but also sharing ones own blogging platform with others - one of my favourite things about blogging is the opportunity to showcase the work and words of creative people i admire on my blog. Their response is often so warm and appreciative too - there really is a lot of love out there in the crafting community! and blogging is a great way to share it :)

p.s. you more than deserve the title 'brilliant blogger' :) x

Wendy said...

Free Spirit: thanks so much x

You're right, the crafting and blogging ciommunity is a lovely, warm and friendly place to be part of.

The diary is one I painted with the word blog so I could jot down ideas for blog posts. It's good to go back to, because ideas come thick and fast at some times and very slowly at others.

ClairLou said...

This is really great, you must be so excited. Wish I still lived in the UK just so I could go and rearrange the magazines in smiths.

Wendy said...

Haha, it would be a long way to travel for a bit of magazine-shuffling, wouldn't it? Thanks, yes, it is quite exciting! x

Unknown said...

Wendy, I can't remember what I said... so this means that I will be first in the queue in WHS on Tuesday. Obviously I will then go back and do some merchandising to ensure it is in a prominent position... Congrats on the feature :)

Wendy said...

Haha, that's the problem with magazines, they're planned so far in advance of publication! Your quote was all about sharing techniques, and your blog gets a mention and a screenshot, too. Thanks for the congrats, and you are turning into chief merchandiser, aren't you?! Everyone else seems to be at it too, but I think you are team leader! ;-)

CatkinJane said...

I've still to manage to get my hands on a paper copy of Craftseller (shops round town don't stock it) I've been tempted to subscribe but would love to flick through first - seeing that you are featured in it makes me more likely to just go ahead!!

Wendy said...

That's a shame Jane, it seems it's in all the shops here. Do you have a WHSmith? Subscribing does mean you get it promptly, and it's a bit of a treat when it pops through the letterbox!

Unknown said...

I'm working through your posts backwards lol! I've subscribed to craft seller - well 3 issues to see what it's like. Just waiting for the first. What issue did your article appear in? Here's to more!