Sunday 23 September 2012

Handmade Monday 85

Hello and welcome to another Handmade Monday.

This week I've had a lot of fun with paper and glue and paint ...

can you tell what it is yet?

This is actually a project for Craftseller magazine and it's in need of quite a bit more playing time work.  It's definitely work if you're being paid for it, right?!  It's still looking a bit like a primary school project, but I promise it will look professional when it's finished!

Speaking of Craftseller, I was delighted that issue 16 arrived on my doormat on Friday (it's in the shops on Tuesday)

 Craftseller magazine with the free wooden hearts

with my clock project gracing its pages!


You'll have to buy the magazine if you want full instructions and template but basically, the sofa is made using fabric, felt and pelmet Vilene with some very simple stitching and then glued onto a painted MDF base with a bit of ripped-up dictionary thrown in for good measure.


It has the look of free machine embroidery (and yes, you could easily use free machining techniques for this) but I just used a simple straight stitch - the hardest part when you're used to sewing in a straight line is getting that sketchy waviness into the stitching!  You soon get the hang of it though.


 And do you remember the last-minute mini heart bunting I made from their free gift for this issue?


These are the ones that didn't arrive at the photo shoot address when they should've done and missed the photo shoot altogether!  Well, they managed to photograph them anyway, and I think they look rather good considering this photo must've been taken after the very last minute! 


 They also gave me a very nice little plug for my website (wasn't expecting that!)


 and they gave me (and my website) a mention on the first page (how lovely of them - wasn't expecting that either!) - there I am at the bottom right.


This month's Craftseller looks like a good read as usual - it's always packed with info, tips, interviews and case studies as well as projects.  I also noticed our online friend and Handmade Monday colleague Cocoa and Heart in there too - but I'll leave the bragging rights on that one to her!


There's a taster for next month too, when they're giving away a 2013 calendar with a different upcycling project for each month (you may recognise the hanging hearts, because they were first seen here, quite a while back - they'll be February's calendar project).  My upcycled gift boxes will be in the calendar too.

OK - I've gone on for long enough!  You know the drill for Handmade Monday (if you don't, click here to find out more).  I'm looking forward to putting my feet up and seeing what's been going on with everyone else - do join me! 

22 comments:

CatkinJane said...

Congratulations, it all looks great :) You must be very pleased that the hearts made it too after all your efforts.

Free Spirit Designs said...

It was super exciting to see your clock project and heart bunting in Craftseller this week Wendy! they both look absolutely fab x

yes, i did recognise the little pic of your hanging heart in the taster for next month :) its fantastic to see so many of your creations are getting featured - well deserved! x

Handbags by Helen said...

that clock does look fab and the article looks great. congrats on getting such lovely coverage - you certainly worked hard to deserve it

Myth Illogical said...

All looks very good in print! Congratulations on all of the features.

Highland Monkey's said...

Golly, that is an amazing clock. Love it.

Fiddly Fingers said...

Well done you on all those articles, you'll be inundated with requests now! Love the clock and the hearts.

testing said...

O how exciting! Congratulations on your features they look fab

Tickled Pink said...

Wow! Congratulations it all looks fabulous. I especially like the clock. Must subscribe to Craftseller (been on my to do list for ages!)!

Anonymous said...

Oh I can't wait to use the wooden hearts, thanks for the great tutorials in Craftseller and for hosting another fabulous Handmade Monday!

Ginx Craft said...

Congratulations on your articles. Love the sofa clock.

Sarah - The Lilac Dragonfly said...

I've recently subscribed to CraftSeller and am eagerly waiting for my first issue....hope it comes soon as it will be great so see some one 'I know' within it's pages!!

fatmonica said...

Congratulations!The sofa clock's fabulous and I love the hearts too.They look great in print!

Ali said...

The sofa clock looks lovely and I was glad to see your hearts made it into the magazine after they got lost on their journey. Ali x

Jan said...

Congratulations. Everything looks brilliant.
I've was playing with glue and tissue on hangers, had a great but messy time. Looking forward to seeing your finished item.

Jan x

Unknown said...

The clock and hearts are lovely. It must be really great to get featured in a magazine like Craftseller.

Congrats & hope you get lots of orders!

Melanie x.

Helen said...

Congratulations! The hearts look fab!

say it said...

I've just got my first copy of Craftseller and was very excited to open it up and spot you inside! Well done on getting featured.

Martha said...

Fantastic creations for the Craft seller. your hearts look great in the photos - very attractive and eye-catching. the sofa clock looks good too.
also well done on doing an article in the previous issue. i bought the previous CS while i was wandering round WHSmith's one day,tempted by those tiny rubber stamps :)
i spotted your article then :)

are those scandinavian papers in the new issue? i'll be on the lookout for them :)

Wendy said...

Yes Martha, the Scandi papers are in the new issue.

Say It - imagie how excited I was!!

Thanks everyone for your comments and support - it means a lot x

Blue Forest Jewellery said...

You are always such a busy bee - sometimes it makes me feel exhausted just reading your blog ;-) Love the new creations.

Alison x

Cocoa & Heart said...

Congratulation on the published tutorial - looks really good and actually usable ! (That's a compliment - believe me...) Thanks for noticing me as well - such a surprise (I was not expecting it untill after Xmas), so spend weekend madly updating websites and everything else...

Wendy said...

Well done on your feature too, Magdalena, it looks lovely x