Sunday 21 October 2012

Handmade Monday 89

Welcome to Handmade Monday (click the link for more info).

There has been much excitement this week with my articles being published in Sewing World...

a clock made entirely from fabric (with the addition of a clock mechanism)

and Craftseller magazine...

linen and paper diary cover (PVC protects the paper)

and the 2013 calendar, a free gift with this month's Craftseller, features a couple of my projects too!

my simple stitched hearts for Valentine's Day


little gift boxes to make in November


Ooh, look! On the calendar cover too!

I love this calendar - absolutely perfect to pop in a workroom, with snippets and ideas for inspiring you as well as the featured projects every month...

ideas galore

I've been busy making too... but because these projects are destined for magazines, I'll have to keep you guessing a little bit!  The biggest clue to this one for Craftseller is that I've been mooching round phone shops this weekend to double-check the size of a certain phone.



Scrummy fabric! 
Scrummy bias tape too!


I had made a cardboard phone, which might have been a bit unscientific as a method, but it helped a lot with measurements!

not quite what you see in the shops...

OK, you can stop laughing now...

Despite my careful measuring and slightly sloppy-looking mock-up, I wanted to double-check that the real thing fitted properly.  We trailed round phone shops (me on a mission, man getting sidetracked by fancy new phones): the display one couldn't be dismounted, the new ones were in a sealed box ...but Carphone Warehouse saved the day as they'd had a faulty one returned that morning!  It's amazing how helpful people can be, even when you tell them you're not planning on parting with any money!

I was pleased that it fitted beautifully - my trusty tape measure and cardboard iPhone had done the trick!  Whoops, did I say iPhone?  I'm not sure if that's too much information...

Still, at least I didn't tag the number 5 on the end, did I?

What?  Oh, I see!  Well, if you need a sewing pattern for an iPhone 5 cover, you'll find it in Craftseller magazine soon!

Are you liking the buttons?
They'll be a freebie in an upcoming Craftseller mag

And the clue to the other project?  It's something that will help organise the sewing room.  My proto-type has been in use a few months now: he's cute, useful and I don't know how I managed without him.

cute but useful

My new version is slightly improved - you know how it is, you use something and think "what this really needs is a..."

This is a pincushion with some serious benefits.   More information another day!

gorgeous fabrics, buttons and fixings from Guthrie and Ghani

Oh! I nearly forgot... Craftseller featured me in a interview too!!  Because it was mostly about my small business, I've blogged about it over at 1st Unique Gifts.

I've waffled for long enough.  Now it's over to you!

27 comments:

CatkinJane said...

Wow, that all looks like a busy and successful week!
I really like the look of your owl pincushion :)

Carolee Crafts said...

You have had a busy week, hope you manage to put your feet up at some point next week

Handbags by Helen said...

How on earth did you find the time to achieve all that!!???

Unknown said...

Wendy, I got a copy of Sewing World on Friday and immediately knew that this was one of yours... it is lovely and the perfect adornment for any craft room. :)

Unknown said...

You must be as pleased as punch to see your work in so much print! I guess it makes all the hard work worthwhile.

K

Free Spirit Designs said...

i saw all your lovely makes in Craftseller this week - yay! its very exciting that they are such big fans of your work :)

looks like you've been super busy with more loveliness... i especially like your pin cushion - soooooo cute! x

AliceAndFlorence said...

What a busy bee you have been! How exciting to see your work published. Congratulations, your ideas are excellent and I love the fabrics you have chosen. I shall be on the look out for a copy of Sewing World. Bet you feel even more inspired now. (after a short rest)!

Wendy X

Anonymous said...

Wow you have been busy! Must go out and buy the magazines!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are getting really famous now! Congratulations on all the features and also all the lovely makes too.

Jam Dalory said...

What a manic time you are having lately but fabulous that its all good stuff. I'm going to have to order this craftseller magazine, seems everyone is raving about it! x

Little Harriet said...

Well done on getting published, that must be a great feeling seeing your work in print.

Love the pincushion, so cute!

Myth Illogical said...

My goodness Wendy- you just don't stop, do you?! I love the thread bobbin clock- especially the needle tucked in!

Blue Forest Jewellery said...

You're always so busy! I love the cardboard phone, and all your makes, of course, and now I need to get the Craftseller because the calendar looks great.

Have a great week,
Alison x

Lynn Holland said...

What a fantastic achievement, well done. My copy came through the post yesterday. Off for a read now.
Lynn :)

Highland Monkey's said...

Goodness you've been a real busy bee. Your name/makes are going through all the craft magazines, you're famous!

Bev Newman said...

Well done, you're being kept very busy. Will be off to buy craft seller tomorrow to have a proper peek at your lovely makes

Jan said...

Well done and congratulations on your publications, it's a great achievement and one you should be really proud of. I love the cardboard phone!!!!

Jan x

Annie and Lyn said...

How exciting - seeing your work in print is a good reward for all your hard work! Love the cardboard phone and the story with it too.

Unknown said...

we've linked up for the first time in ages. All my time has been on the web as Christmas is the final deadline!

You've been lucky with lots of commissions. well done! Inspires us all.

Anonymous said...

I love your projects, (the clock especially) and really enjoyed your interview in Craftseller. I'm looking forward to hanging my calendar.

I think the owl pincushion almost looks like he has been for an acupuncture session hehe!

fatmonica said...

That's some achievement!Well Done.I love that cotton reel clock-it's fabulous and I'm going to have to go and get those magazines now to have a closer look at your projects!

EleanorLucy Millinery said...

Wow congrats on your published features! How exciting!! Very much looking forward to the new and improved pin cushion, I'm a massive owl fan! :)

Sarah - The Lilac Dragonfly said...

I really love your owl, but am not sure I could stick pins in it!! #toosensitive?? You have been a busy bunny this week...hope you're getting some 'me' time too xx

Ali said...

The cotton reel clock looks fab. You've convinced me to pop out and get the next issue of craftseller. Ali x

Wendy said...

Thanks for all your comments. For those who haven't read Craftseller before, it's well worth it! The calendar this month is fab too.

Unknown said...

Hi Wendy
Just asking but have you received your Dec issue of craftseller yet? i subscribed for tester issues after reading about it here, first for Dec.
Just wondered..
Lesley
Bath Bomb Creations

Wendy said...

Hi Lesley, no - the most recent issue I have is issue 17 which is the November issue. December issue is on sale 20th November x