Sunday 10 March 2013

Handmade Monday

Welcome to Handmade Monday - click the link for more info about joining in.

When you design for a magazine - or even when you post tutorials on your own blog -  you don't always get to see what people decide to do with your design.  So it was a lovely surprise to see the Letters page in this month's Craftseller - a reader had written in with a photo of what she'd made using my sofa clock template.

letters page

I designed the sofa clock a while back and it's one of my favourite designs.

felt, pelmet Vilene and sketchy stitches

I like the homey, cosy feel of it and I actually have more ideas for this sofa - not all of them in fabric!  But it was really lovely to see how a reader had developed the idea and made the clock her own by using a canvas and adding some lettering.  It's always really good to see how your idea can be developed in a different direction by someone else (er, as long as it's not something you are trying to sell yourself - copying designs on sale by another designer/maker is a definite no-no - but there are lots of patterns and tutorials about for designs you could make and sell).

the original article in issue 16

I also had an email this week from a lovely lady asking me about the heart-shaped scissor keeper tutorial and whether she could make it to sell at her Guild show.

So, does it make me more organised?
Surprisingly, yes - I can always find my scissors now!

The email reminded me that I really should add information about this to my tutorials.  If people are making from my patterns or tutorials on a small independent basis, I'm more than happy for them to sell their makes (and, although it's not absolutely necessary, a mention for me and my blog on the labelling would make me very happy indeed!).  However, you'd need to contact me about mass production.  All my patterns are developed by me and I do own the copyright - it's all about respect really, this copyright issue, isn't it?

Oh, and before I forget - Happy Mother's Day to those of you who are mums in the UK (I think the rest of the world celebrates this on a different day, doesn't it?).  Enjoy your day - feet up on that sofa, I think!

Anyway, I'd love to have a peek at what's been going on in your world this week.  Feel free to join us for Handmade Monday by

19 comments:

Highland Monkey's said...

It's suprising how many different ways a pattern can be adapted to suit. The sofa looks super cosy and just ready to sink into!! Not seen the sissor holder before what a brilliant idea.

Free Spirit Designs said...

what a great interpretation of your clock design! It must have been such a lovely feeling to see it in Craftseller :)

the scissor holder is such a useful idea, how wonderful to get such great feedback from someone else using the design! the proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say :) x

MadBirdDesignsUK said...

Its so good to get feedback and that was a great use of your sofa! I'm still without my main PC, so no post from me this week. Really getting twitchy from lack of Blogging x Joan

Adaliza said...

Thank you for sharing your patterns and ideas - you're right, it's a difficult question and respect for each other's creative designs is such a grey area.

Jan said...

I think feed back is really important and good feedback is especially pleasing.
Have a great week

Jan x

Natalie Jones said...

Copyright does seem like a tricky area. I'm not very good at coming up with original ideas (I think your heart scissor holder is wonderful!) so tend to make things that are based on someone elses work. Since I really only make things for myself and friends and family I don't think it is a problem but if I ever had time to make enough "stock" for a craft fair, I guess I'd have to think carefully about it.

Goodnight Boutique said...

I love getting feedback on tutorials - it's always really nice to know that people were inspired to make something themselves :)

Ginx Craft said...

I get really excited when anyone makes a knit from one of my patterns, and posts a picture on ravelry. If they permit you can link their pictures to your pattern, which I think is the best advertisement.

Martha said...

Love that heart-shaped scissor holder! what a fab idea and great sewing! a must-have in a stitcher room!

great projects are always worth fighting for your copyrights

fatmonica said...

How great is it to inspire someone to make something like that clock.Must be thrilling!

testing said...

What a lovely way in which to receive feedback and I have to admit I'm not very clear on understanding the rules of copyright from magazine or purchased tutorials unless the author has stated clearly otherwise.

say it said...

I saw the clock in Craftseller too - it's great that you're inspiring people to create. How lovely that you get to see what others have made from your designs.

EleanorLucy Millinery said...

What a great feeling to have inspired someone to make one of your designs! The copyright thing is a minefield. With my origami stuff, I always err on the side of caution and check with the originator for permission - even though I'm only using their design as a guide / starting point - and agree a potential financial arrangement iin writing if necessary. My experience is that the designer is usually v interested to see a new interpretation, and also happy to offer advice if you need it.

love the scissor holder - mine live in a giant jam jar which I regularly knock over. I might upgrade ;)

Christmas Pie Crafts said...

It is such a great compliment to have people making up from your designs - well done. Copyright is a pain in the neck! Some people have no respect for the hard work of others and thinking nothing about using their ideas as their own. Hope you have a good week.

Bev Newman said...

It must be lovely getting feedback on your patterns - I love them but lack the necessary talent with the dreaded beastie in the corner - aka sewing machine! I agree with your about copyright and yes its nice to see what someone else can do with a pattern. I knit and crochet to order quite a bit and often the customer wants tweaks making to a pattern they've chosen and sometimes the effect is surprisingly good. Hope you enjoyed your Mother's Day x

Helen said...

How lovely to get positive feedback about your design. It's nice as well to see what other people,come up with with your idea, i am not surprised you are happy about it :)

Handbags by Helen said...

love your scissor organiser

Cocoa & Heart said...

Lovely post as ever! I was interested to read about the copyright issue. Craftseler got into hot water before for using other people's work without asking and now they promote 'free copyright-make as much as you like...'. So, where do you draw the line? Potentially anyone can use the pattern and sell it anywhere from their own websites to Country Living Fairs. Would that be O.K. ? But if I want to use the design and have it made in China and then sell - that's not O.K. ? So, what does constitutes mass production (production on your scale or export to china). I'm just playing a devil's advocate, because the copyright issue could be quite gray... What do you think?

Wendy said...

Some good questions, Magda (Cocoa & Heart)! I can't claim to know all the answers, and have discussed at length with my middle daughter (a lawyer, who also doesn't have all the answers because often it "depends on" something else!!). If I am brave enough I may write a few blog posts about this! Interestingly, although Craftseller does say designs are copyright-free, it does have a small-print copyright notice in every issue. Personally, I would say mass production happens when it's on a factory-scale operation, with wide-scale distribution plans - not something any of us would do from home.