Sunday 6 October 2013

Handmade Monday 137

Hello! Welcome to Handmade Monday!

I'm happy to report that my first cards for Craftseller magazine are in this month's issue!  They use the free papers that come with the magazine and this cute little bird is one of them...


Also in this month's issue there's my apron, tea towel and oven mitts, using a Christmas tree design sponged onto linen.


I loved the fabric these were made from - a super soft and drapey natural linen from Guthrie & Ghani (an online and gorgeous bricks & mortar shop run by the very lovely Lauren from the first series of The Great British Sewing Bee - do check it out! Lauren's blog is well worth reading, too).


The sponging worked really well on the linen, and I'm pleased with how they've come across in the magazine.


I've been making more cards for Craftseller too.  Christmas seems to go on forever at the moment with magazine commissions!


But I like very much that these latest free papers include sentiments suitable for Christmas birthdays too. Two of my children were born in December, one of them on Christmas Day itself - she was born at home in the early hours of Christmas morning and yes, it felt a little bit like a fairy tale.  Her brother and sister woke up and found a new baby for Christmas!  She's grown up now with a baby of her own but her birth was definitely very special.

What's your handmade week been like?

16 comments:

Lilly's Mom said...

Oh my, I love all these designs you shared with us. The apron and potholder are so lovely and the mistletoe card is adorable.

Unknown said...

I haven't had chance to open my craftseller mag yet but look forward to having a look at your makes!

Unknown said...

Congrats on your new projects in the magazine Wendy! Your card is so pretty and great idea on the stamping the linen. My daughter was born at home too, so I understand how special it is! Have a great week, Laura

Christmas Pie Crafts said...

Lovley makes and nice easy instructions to follow, thank you. I have taken out a subscription to Craftseller and my first issue arrived last week. Lots of lovely things to make. Hope you have a good week.

MadBirdDesignsUK said...

Well done two articles in one issue, soon be running your own magazine!!!!

Busy framing this week and still catching up on doll orders. Sometimes I hate going back and making something I've finished obsessing with. How about you?

Wendy said...

Thanks everyone. Oh yes, running my own magazine is the stuff of dreams but I can't quite see it happening!

Yes, that obsession thing is definitely a motivator, isn't it? I don't get to do that often enough, unfortunately as a lot of what I do is crafting to pay the bills (which in itself is a very fortunate position to be in - but it's working to whatever someone will pay me for rather than what I actually *want* to do).

Anonymous said...

Well done again with the magazine stuff! that Christmas must have been a wonderful one for your family.

CatkinJane said...

Some lovely things.
I do love the card with the cute little bird on - especially the scarf and boots :)

Highland Monkey's said...

thanks for your comment made me snigger! At least she didnt show her tattoo on her bottom lol Lovely makes as usual. Your head must be swimming with all these whizzing around!

Free Spirit Designs said...

so many gorgeous things! those oven mitts are a 'must make' :) i love the simplicity if the sponged tree and the red spotty border works so well with the linen.

Aww, what an amazing story about your Christmas baby! It must make the 25th December an extra extra special day in your family :)

Good luck with your upcoming magazine commissions, you are so full of good ideas, always look forward to reading about them! x

Myth Illogical said...

The oven gloves are totally gorgeous! I love the spotty red trim. I do love having special kitchenware especially for Christmas!

mrsbrownmakes said...

Wow, baby Christmas morning! I hope you got out of doing the cooking! xx

Gertie said...

The Christmas bird card is so cute. I just love his little wellies.

Gosh, a Christmas baby. It must have been one of the best presents ever xx

Lucy Blossom said...

Lovely things as always, you're so talented and clearly in demand with the magazines.

Silver Moss Jewellery said...

Love the birthday/seasonal card - that's such a nice idea for a December birthday. I'll also be looking in the shops for your cards on the front cover of Craftseller - they look great!

itsamistry said...

The cards look great I really enjoy your work. I must get myself a copy of the magazine.