Sunday 2 November 2014

Handmade Monday 192

Hello and welcome to Handmade Monday.

I've been working towards making my work more portable this week, so that I can go and sit with Dad (who spends much of his time either nodding off or wanting to "go home" to his mother) while Mum goes out to meet other people at various groups in her retirement village.  That's the plan, anyway.  We'll see how it works tomorrow and Tuesday, when it's reminiscence group and scrabble group respectively!

With portability in mind, I started drawing elements that I could scan and then use digitally to create images.  Once I have all the images uploaded, all I need is my laptop to work on making images for potential licensing.  This is the process I go through...


I always start on scrap paper.  I use anything that has been printed on one side only, or failing that, computer printer paper.  Anything will do at this stage - even old envelopes at times - because it's all about the ideas, the outline, or even sometimes a bit of measuring - compasses, protractors and rulers all come in handy at times!


Then I re-draw the images more neatly on smoother paper - but they're still really just doodles.

I've started stuffing the paper with images to cut down on scanning time as well as paper.  On this occasion I ended up with twelve pages of images... which gives me plenty to work on as they all had loads on them!


Once they're scanned, I then crop each element and take out the white background colour (although it still shows up as white here against a white background) so I have a transparent image.  Sometimes I fill it with colour at this stage, sometimes later.


I can then play with the various elements to make a finished image.  I find this part completely addictive - I love playing with colour and pattern.  The beauty of working on the computer means I can try out lots of different colours and patterns before making a decision.


While I'm doing all this, guide dog puppy Quentin is learning to lie at my feet and act like he's in an office, which is one of the things a qualified guide dog might be expected to do.

Although shredding paper should definitely not be one of his duties, he seemed to think it was on this occasion...


Fortunately, it was just a leaflet.  And he said sorry (at least with his eyes)...


You couldn't stay cross with him for long, could you?

What has been happening in your world?  Let us all know by joining in with Handmade Monday...

12 comments:

Blue Forest Jewellery said...

Great to see how your creative process works. The images look fab in black and white and colour. Hope you are able to get some things done whilst sitting with your dad.

Obviously someone told Quentin that some offices have paper shredders!

Alison x

Lilly's Mom said...

It was fascinating to see how you create your beautiful images. I'm sure it so much fun filling in the images with color. Quentin is adorable.

JENNY said...

Really love your designs! They are so creative and you could do so much with them! Fab! xx

Highland Monkey's said...

Aww, look at Quentins face, he is hinting that he could be your shedder assistant so no need to buy one!

Unknown said...

Beautiful doodles, I really like the different line thicknesses you've used. I couldn't stay cross with Quentin either, bless his cotton socks!

Free Spirit Designs said...

A great insight into your work Wendy, thank you for sharing. My process for digital stuff is much the same, although i don't have a scanner so i use my camera to photograph my drawings!

Aww Quentin is such a sweetie, i'm sure it is impossible to stay annoyed with him for long with those puppy dog eyes of his! :)

Sum of their Stories said...

I love seeing how the magic happens! Thanks for the peek into the process.

Ginx Craft said...

Very interesting to see how much goes into the design process.

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Oh I love your portable design studio - such a great idea and a lovely result :)

Lucy Blossom said...

It's really interesting to read how you start your work, and its lovely to see Quentin trying to help you keep your space clear ;)

Fiddly Fingers said...

Interesting to learn about your creative process and I'm sure Quentin thought he was 'helping'

itsamistry said...

Glad I'm not the only one who uses anywhere to put down an initial drawing plan. I have an assorted number of papers in a pile on my desk. Poor Quentin he does look sorry.